First Rally Doesn’t Disappoint

First Rally Doesnt Disappoint

Staff Member

Helen Husky and Madeline Keo, Staff Writers

Watch a highlights video of the rally here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukm1lABEIf4&feature=youtu.be

We’ve all been there: it’s rally day and nearly every student in the gym is anxiously awaiting dismissal to just go home. However, this year, our first rally didn’t disappoint. As each student entered, they were nearly bombarded with loud music and high energy. There was a sense of excitement as this year’s rally commissioners, Katie Thornsberry and Delaney Serpa, were introduced. 

The rally kicked off with a sense of confusion as to what was happening with such loud rock and roll playing, but everyone quickly began cheering for Mr. Franca, as he belted out a rock song as the first of three lip sync battle contestants.  The next act, clad in a black leather jacket, was Mr. Reese riding in on a bicycle while throwing candies into the crowd to the theme song YMCA. Following on his heels were the other members of the office staff  dressed as varying “village people.”   The principal’s secretary, Carla Reed, thought that the best part of being in this first rally of the year as a YMCA dancer was, “seeing so much school spirit.”   

As the YMCA song came to a close, Mr. Mullins, Mr. Bernard, Mr. Brown, and Mr. Bland led by senior history teacher, Mrs. McAndrews, took to the floor to perform a rendition of Call Me Maybe, by Carly Rae Jepsen.  As costumes, the male teachers attached foam heads to the top of their own heads and then covered their real faces with button up shirts which led to them dancing blindly and led the student body to erupt in laughter. Shortly after, the Call Me Maybe group was announced as the winner of lip sync battle – elected by the loudest cheers from the student body.

Following the lip sync battles, students from each class participated in a series of games. Every class cheered loudly for their peers, and the crowd seemed to get the rowdiest during the game of tug-of-war. After the senior and sophomore classes were eliminated, the juniors and freshmen faced each other for the final game of the rally. Once the points were tallied up, the juniors won by a landslide. 

As students gathered their bags and began to head home, students could be heard chattering about how it was the best rally Hughson has put on while they’ve been there. Mrs. Brazil, the leadership advisor, attributes this being one of the best rally in years due to “more staff and student participation.” The excitement was evident throughout the rally, and it has set the bar high for rallies to come.