Husky in the Hot Seat: Ms. Schmidig

Hailey Dimter, Staff Reporter

Hailey Dimter: What made you want to become a teacher? 

Ms.Schmidig: “I have always had a passion for helping people. Growing up in a family of educators, I saw the impact those family members had on their students and wanted to be able to do the same. I love helping young people grow into well educated members of society.” 

Hailey Dimter: What drew you to want to work at Hughson High School?

Ms.Schmidig: “ I grew up in a small town similar to Hughson. I love the family atmosphere of a small town and I knew I wanted to work someplace similar.”

Hailey Dimter: What made you want to teach floral design?

Ms.Schmidig: I love hands-on learning and agriculture and floral does a great job combining the two. There is not a better subject to teach than floral- maybe I am biased! I love seeing students be able to develop their creativity and create something they are proud of and want to take home and show off to their families and friends.” 

Hailey Dimter:  What is one way you feel that you have strongly contributed to Hughson High?

Ms.Schmidig: “I feel one impact I have contributed to HHS is by helping us continue to grow the Ag Department and opportunities for students to get involved within FFA.  We have a special ag department where students find their home during high school and that is something I am proud to say I am a part of.” 

Hailey Dimter: What is one way you feel you have positively impacted Hughson High students? 

Ms.Schmidig: ¨I am a positive person. So I promote positivity in my classroom and I would like to think my students feel the same way.

Hailey Dimter: What is your favorite part about teaching?

Ms.Schmidig: ¨ My favorite part of teaching is seeing students finally have that “ah-ha” moment when they fully comprehend a concept.  Also, I love being able to take students on FFA trips such as Indianapolis, Indiana or Anaheim and seeing the smiles on their faces and how much they have grown as leaders during those moments”

Hailey Dimter: What was your favorite subject growing up? 

Ms.Schmidig: “My favorite subject growing up was always any of my Ag Classes.  I loved being involved with the FFA organization and all the opportunities that were available to be as a student “back in the day.” 

Hailey Dimter: What is one place you’ve always wanted to travel and why?

Ms.Schmidig: “I have always wanted to travel anywhere tropical. I have never been anywhere like that so that is definitely on the bucket list!”