The PAW

Q&A With Football Guru: Dray Beltran

Conor McGill, Sports Chief

Q&A With Football Guru: Dray Beltran

Conor McGill: When did you start playing football?

Dray Beltran: I started playing football for the Hughson Youth Football in 2012.

Conor McGill: Who inspired you to start playing football?

Dray Beltran: The person that inspired me to play football was my uncle, he played football and was a really good running back for Ceres High back in the days.

Conor McGill: How has football affected your life?

Dray Beltran: Football has affected my life by making it the center of my life, everything I do just revolves around getting better and being involved in football. It’s such a huge part of my life that I wouldn’t be me without this sport.

Conor McGill: Do you plan on playing football after high school?

Dray Beltran: Yes I do plan on playing football after high school. I have been in the process of reaching out to college coaches some D3, a couple D2 and some NAIA schools.

Conor McGill: How do you prepare for a football game?

Dray Beltran: I prepare for a football game by getting my mind and body ready for the abuse it is going to take for that game. I get this positivity and confidence about myself that just helps throughout the game. A pack of Skittles before a game usually helps too.

Conor McGill: What is the normal Dray Beltran football routine before games?

Dray Beltran: The normal Dray Beltran routine before games is all mental preparations. I eat foods that won’t affect my performance so I stay sustained and I listen to music that gets me hyped up. Throughout the day I’ll eat a pack of Skittles, it’s my good luck.

Conor McGill: What position do you play?

Dray Beltran: I play a wide range of positions, but my main position is running back; on defense I can play outside backer and some corner-back as well.

Conor McGill: What are some challenges in football

Dray Beltran: Some challenges in football are how the team interacts after a bad play has happened at practice or during a game like the recovering after. Another challenge for me personally is my size difference to most players, but I usually get the better end of the stick.

Conor McGill: What is your favorite part about playing football?

Dray Beltran: Everything. The sweat, the tears, the hard work, losing, winning, the intensity, running when you feel like you’re about to throw up, having a great play, and the struggles. Everything about the game of football, I just love.

Conor McGill: How did you get the name “Beast Mode”?

Dray Beltran: Well I got the nickname “BEAST-MODE” from my second year of youth football. I was pretty decent but I hadn’t really been using that nickname until I reached my freshman year. I feel like that’s when I started to use the nickname more in high school years because I was always working harder than my teammates, no one out works me. I give my everything for the game. The hard work and dedication I’ve put in at practice and during games just solidifies the nickname even more for me I think.

About the Writer
Conor McGill, Sports Chief

Conor McGill is currently a senior at Hughson High. In his free time he likes spending time with his family and covering sporting events in the area. Conor plans on attending Arizona State in the fall of 2019 and major in Sports Journalism.