The PAW

Beltran returns kick in Huskies’ rout, issues warning to TVL: ‘We’re coming for you’

Conor McGill, Sports Chief

HUGHSON — Hughson smacked Riverbank on homecoming night, 45-0.

Hughson’s Dray Beltran started the scoring early, opening the game with an 80-yard kickoff return to make it 7-0.

“I was expecting them to kick it deep. Funny thing is our coach promised us dinner this past Wednesday if we returned our opening drive for a touchdown,” said Beltran. “Regarding the TVL, we’re coming for you!”

After going down with a shoulder injury last week, Hughson quarterback Steven Morris was back in action taking limited passes. Morris threw three passes, including a 7-yard connection to Nathan Noeller and a 30-yard strike to Damien Contreras, both in the first quarter. Spencer Giffin recovered a block punt to give the Huskies a 28-0 lead after one quarter.

Backup quarterback Jaxon Davis entered in the second quarter, connecting on a 13-yard touchdown pass to Robert Saldivar. Chase Shears closed the game out with a 3-yard rushing touchdown.

“I was shocked when I saw Beltran run in right off the kickoff,” said Hughson coach Shaun King. “We haven’t had a good special teams this year and this past Wednesday I challenged them and sure enough they pulled it off.”

No.10 Hughson (5-2) takes to the road to play No.3 Hilmar (5-1) next week, while Riverbank (2-5) heads back home to play No.4 Escalon (5-2) after losing to No.2 Modesto Christian 7-6.

About the Writer
Conor McGill, Sports Chief

Conor McGill is currently a senior at Hughson High. In his free time he likes spending time with his family and covering sporting events in the area. Conor plans on attending Arizona State in the fall of 2019 and major in Sports Journalism.