The PAW

Beltran returns kick in Huskies’ rout, issues warning to TVL: ‘We’re coming for you’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Conor McGill, Sports Chief

HUGHSON — Hughson smacked Riverbank on homecoming night, 45-0.

Hughson’s Dray Beltran started the scoring early, opening the game with an 80-yard kickoff return to make it 7-0.

“I was expecting them to kick it deep. Funny thing is our coach promised us dinner this past Wednesday if we returned our opening drive for a touchdown,” said Beltran. “Regarding the TVL, we’re coming for you!”

After going down with a shoulder injury last week, Hughson quarterback Steven Morris was back in action taking limited passes. Morris threw three passes, including a 7-yard connection to Nathan Noeller and a 30-yard strike to Damien Contreras, both in the first quarter. Spencer Giffin recovered a block punt to give the Huskies a 28-0 lead after one quarter.

Backup quarterback Jaxon Davis entered in the second quarter, connecting on a 13-yard touchdown pass to Robert Saldivar. Chase Shears closed the game out with a 3-yard rushing touchdown.

“I was shocked when I saw Beltran run in right off the kickoff,” said Hughson coach Shaun King. “We haven’t had a good special teams this year and this past Wednesday I challenged them and sure enough they pulled it off.”

No.10 Hughson (5-2) takes to the road to play No.3 Hilmar (5-1) next week, while Riverbank (2-5) heads back home to play No.4 Escalon (5-2) after losing to No.2 Modesto Christian 7-6.

About the Writer
Conor McGill, Sports Chief

Conor McGill is currently a senior at Hughson High. In his free time he likes spending time with his family and covering sporting events in the area. Conor...