Royalty Comes To Hughson

Helen Husky and Sadie Padilla, Staff Writer and Senior Editor

Today, Hughson High School homecoming prince and princess nominees were announced during lunch.  There are two princes or kings and princesses or queens nominated from each grade, and those nominees will compete to win the title, with freshmen and sophomores vying for the JV prince and princess win and juniors and seniors facing off to win the title of king and queen. 

The nominees this year are as follows: 

9th Grade

Princess – Ashtin Brazil

Princess – Emily Muzquiz

Prince – Liam Bridgford

Prince – Jesse Terry

10th

Princess – Nevaeh Servin

Princess – Brooke Boucher

Prince – Makalapuakaihonuokalani Chu

Prince – Francisco Barrios

11th

Queen – Jayden Perry

Queen – Aolanie Rivera

King – Aiden Meyer

King – Silvano Mora

12th

Queen – Marijane Lopez

Queen – Daniela Madrigal

King – Clayton Dowdy

King – Jared Muirhead 

As each nominee was announced, they were asked to come up to the top of the quad theater steps to be presented with a sash and a flower. 

“I felt very honored that my class decided that I should represent them,” stated freshman Ashtin Brazil. “I felt a little nervous going in front of everyone, but I heard a few people shout my name and I was not nervous anymore because I felt accepted.”

This year’s homecoming is being planned by homecoming commissioners Rylie Aguiar and Joelle Dowdy.   

“I was nominated my freshman year to be on the homecoming court, and I loved the experience and wanted to give the same experience back to other students,” Rylie Aguiar explained. “I love seeing the excitement on nominees’ faces when they get nominated or during the ceremony because it reminds me of how I felt and that I was able to give that feeling to them.” 

Many of the nominees were surprised at being nominated, but for some, it wasn’t entirely unexpected.

“I expected it [the nomination] because a lot of my friends said they voted for me,” said senior Jared Muirhead. “It was fun and I am looking forward to homecoming.” 

The final voting will take place the week of homecoming, and the results for the girl winners will be announced at the half-time varsity homecoming game; the boy winners will be announced at the powderpuff game.  All nominees will be formally presented in convertibles during the homecoming parade on Friday, October 25, 2019.