January Teacher of the Month – Nick Brown

Mercedes Padilla, Staff Writer and Senior Editor

January’s teacher of the month is Mr. Brown, an art teacher and football coach who has been making an impact on students for the two years he’s been teaching at Hughson High School so far. 

Mr. Brown was a student athlete at Hughson High School, and attended the University of Redlands after graduation. He graduated with an art degree in 2006 and began his career as a freelance artist. Some of his commissions have fallen under the category of graphic design, including logos and letterheads he has created for companies. Many of his other commissions, though, are the same representational style he produces for enjoyment. One of his more prominent commissions was a water tower mural he created for Levi’s Stadium, which was representative of his roots in the Central Valley. His Instagram account (@nickbrownart) features incredibly realistic oil paintings ranging from pet portraits to landscapes. 

Brown plays an instrumental role in helping his students’ creativity take shape by providing materials and guidance, and notes the importance of pushing kids out of their creative comfort zones by encouraging them to use new mediums and techniques. Mr. Brown also engages students with the campus and community. He provides space in his classroom for any student willing to paint a ceiling tile for any of the classrooms on campus, as long as that teacher’s permission is secured. Also, with the help of Hughson Unified Board Member Cindy Gipp and Hughson United Methodist Church Pastor Tim Gravatt, Mr. Brown helps his students get their creations out into the public eye in the annual Hughson Community Art Show. 

Mr. Brown has big plans for his art students in the future, as well. He and English teacher Mrs. Ruelas are teaming up to plan a mural club at Hughson High School. The details are still in the works, but the goal is to unite students under the common cause of brightening up their campus with murals. If there are no delays, club activities should be underway sometime in spring, but further down the line, Mr. Brown’s vision for the club is for students to potentially create murals beyond campus in the wider Hughson community. 

When asked why Ruelas chose him to be teacher of the month, she said, “I chose Mr. Brown as the next teacher of the month because of his passion for teaching and students.  He is adored by his students both in the classroom and as a coach, he works closely with the Hughson high staff where he often works with them on cross curricular collaboration, and he is changing the culture of Hughson High in such a positive way. Mr. Brown has a fabulous sense of humor and is one of the kindest people that works here.  He is always willing to help others in any way he can, and he wants to help people realize and execute their own passions and dreams.”

Mr. Brown certainly possesses no lack of passion for art or his students. 

In Mr. Brown’s words, “Art provides a voice for everybody in one way or another. It can be a safe haven and a safe space for everybody to say what they want to say, how they want to say it, with whatever medium they want to use. To get students excited about art and that freedom that comes with art is something that really is almost unlike anything.”