FFA Celebrates Washington’s Legacy

Lilly Wheeler, Staff Writer

National FFA Week is a time where the chapters bring awareness to the organization and the agricultural industry. The National FFA Board of Directors decided to take this week as a time every year to recognize Washington’s legacy as a farmer and agriculturalist dating back to 1948 which was right after the President’s weekend. HHS has been participating in National FFA Week since the beginning of FFA at HHS which was in 1948.

Each FFA chapter throughout the nation has its own way of celebrating National FFA Week and can decide how to best celebrate the organization.  During the week at Hughson High this year, HHS had a double lunch on Friday that all Ag students were able to participate in. At this lunch the Ag Department was able to feed over 600 students and the teachers in under 20-30 minutes, they served everyone with freshly cooked hamburgers, chips, soda or water, and a cookie.

HHS also celebrates National FFA week with dress-up days to promote the organization within HHS and the Hughson community. Each of the dress-up days are represented as symbols within National FFA and Agriculture; this week the days were as follows:

Tuesday: Camo vs Flannel

Wednesday: Animal Print

Thursday: Boots and Buckles

Friday: FFA Spirit (Blue & Gold)

When asked how he felt the week went, Senior FFA Chapter President Jonah Beals said, “Yes, I think National FFA week was quite a success because we accomplished our goal of promoting FFA and Agriculture within our school.”