Hughson High Supports Students In Need

Aamie Bertolosso, Staff Reporter

As students are going through distance learning, many are having a tough time. Especially students who considered school a safe place. At this time of uncertainty, many people have an array of opinions about students experiencing distance learning. Some people believe that students should be in school because it is easier for them to learn when they’re physically in school. While others believe that students and teachers should stay safe and continue distance learning. 

I think distance learning has its perks, however I am not a huge fan. I think students learn better being in the classroom and I hope we can all come back on campus soon,” said Ruth Ballard, a School Psychologist for Hughson High.

As for the students who used school as a place to get away from their problems at home, distance learning is the hardest for them right now. Marnie Smith, a Learning Director for Hughson High explained that, “I have worked with a few students already who are struggling with being in a not-so-safe environment on a full-time basis. It is a difficult place for both them and us as educators because we all want kids to be safe and uplifted. The most important thing to remember is that no one deserves to feel less than, afraid, depressed, or hurt either physically or emotionally no matter the circumstance. If this is happening to you, there are people that can help.”

There are many resources for students who are presently going through a tough time. Ms. Smith wanted to inform these students that, “First I want them to know that they are important and they matter. There are tons of people who are trained to help and offer support. Students can reach out to me or Mrs. Teague anytime. If we can’t help them, we can reach out to a multitude of individuals who can offer specific help. If you are emotionally down, physically or psychologically being hurt, hungry, just feeling isolated, or being minimized because of self-identity, reach out to us. We can direct your path to support.”

According to Ms. Ballard, “I am always available to talk with students who do not feel safe at home. If for some reason you cannot get a hold of me, talk to a trusted adult at the high school. There are resources we use, however depending on the situation, they could look very different. My email is [email protected] or call the school and ask for me.” 

Ms. Smith’s advice for students is, “Talk to someone. There is someone who will listen, even if it isn’t the first or second person you reach out to. Don’t give up and keep reaching out. Also, remember that things are constantly changing. This time last year no one thought this is where we would be today and we have no idea where we will be in a year. What we do know is that it won’t be exactly the same. So no matter how awful it seems right now, things will change and new and different decisions can be made. Find that person that helps you to see that. They are out there. I promise.” 

Ms. Ballard added, “If you need help, seek a trusted adult. No one will know you are going through a tough time unless you say something. One thing that has gotten me through this hard time is knowing I am not alone. Everyone is going through this and as much as it seems to be going on forever, it will pass soon. I cannot wait for the day we are all back on campus again.”