September 11 Twenty Years Later

It’s been 20 years since the tragedies of September 11, 2001. People who lived through that tragedy, have remembered the events that occurred that day, and acknowledged that it changed the world we live in. For the younger generation, some find it vital that they learned the lessons of the attacks. 

Jacob Hanson, a 12th grader at Hughson High School says “ It has made our nation more resilient, more united”. 

Jack Bland, a visual arts teacher at Hughson High School said “I remember the nation coming together after the events of 9/11. I never saw that before 9/11, it must have affected many in the same way, it did not matter who you were as an American.” Bland also mentioned he was in college when the devastating event occurred and  was living in San Francisco during the attacks. Bland’s career as a photojournalist began when he photographed many anti-war protests in the city at that time, which won him many awards as a photographer. 

Similar to Mr. Bland, Zachary Allen, a 10th grader at Hughson High School, is looking forward to starting a career in the Marines because of September 11, 2001.

Mr. Tetrick, a P.E teacher at Hughson High School, feels that it changed the country at the time. When Mr. Tetrick was asked how he feels this event affected someone else around his age, he responded with “it reminded the youth of my time of Pearl Harbor.”  Mr. Tetrick said when he first heard about this event he said he “prayed for the country and for the ones who lost loved ones.”