Huskies Vs Cougars: When Rivals Clash

Left to right, Seth Harcrow Ethan Jones Will Nutcher Conner La Rosa Spencer Summers

Jonathan Anderson, Sports Reporter

Friday night football is a big thing in the nation. Especially when it comes to a High School rivalry game. In this case it was between Hughson Huskies and Escalon Cougars. The last time the Huskies beat the Cougars it was on 10/09/2015 with a final score of 28-14. The Huskies were looking to repeat history six years later. What would unfold would shock both communities. 

The Huskies started strong. Utilizing Will Nutcher, a senior who leads the Huskies in touchdowns and rushing yards. “ Will Nutcher is a old school style running back. Runs hard, stays low, and has great vision. He’s a great teammate as well. A lot of our players grew up together playing for the Little Huskies.” – Shaun King Hughson Huskies Head Coach

Will scored one touchdown in the first quarter bringing the score to 6-0. Hughson’s kicker Matthew Lawrence kicked a field goal that went good bringing the score to 7-0. 

In the second quarter, Quarterback Seth Harcrow threw a TD pass to number five, Larkin Meyer. This brought the score to 13-0. Unfortunately disaster would strike in the form of a couple false starts by Hughson. Bringing the ball back 10 yards for the field goal. The Huskies kicker could not kick a good kick. The score remained at 13-0

The student section is always a sight to see at Hughson high school. It’s almost always overflowing with students every single home football game. It doesn’t matter if we win or lose, the Hughson High students love their Huskies. 

The Huskies ended up losing that game 13-20. When asked what the Huskies will do to prepare for the next game and a potential second meeting between the Huskies and the Cougars Head coach Shaun King said “ We’re preparing for the next game. This week is Livingston. Everyday working on being better than we were the previous day. And yes, we want another shot at Escalon. After watching the film and seeing the mistakes we made, we hope we get 1 more opportunity.” 

The Huskies will travel to Livingston next Friday for a conference confrontation against the Livingston Wolves who are 3-2 overall and 0-1 in conference. Let’s go Huskies!