HHS Key Club: Peace Officer Memorial Run

Angela Bridgman, Staff Writer

Last year Hughson High could not participate in the annual Peace Officer Memorial Run due to Covid-19. This non profit event allows the heroes of Stanislaus County to raise public awareness and assist the families of the fallen officers. Their primary goal is to educate the public about officers who die in the line of duty. 

Staying safe, students from Key Club will meet at Johansen High School. They will get put into groups and get assigned to a station. At their station they will cheer on and encourage the runners. Sometimes the students in the Key Club will get a free t-shirt along with a bag that includes a hat. In 2019, the people in charge of the race gave out free croissants and water to the runners and Key Club.

Students who participated in the event in 2019 loved cheering on the racers. Emily Flora said “I really loved cheering everybody on. It was honestly really nice supporting these people who were up early and running for a good cause. It was overall a really good experience! I recommend anybody to go if you can because you get this experience that you don’t ever forget, which is being kind and supportive of others who deserve it.”

To participate in helping out in this event you should contact Mr. Bullock. The event will take place October 3rd. The marathon will begin around 7am. Students helping in Key Club should be at  Johansen High School at 6:30AM to get prepared in their stations.