The Importance of Mental Health Awareness for Hughson High

Alissa Young, Staff Writer

People from all over the world can relate to at least one thing, and that’s the matter of mental health. According to in the issue of mental illness, one in four U.S. adults. suffer from a mental illness. That’s estimated to be 56% out of the population. While the other 44% of people either don’t classify themselves with mental health illnesses, or have not seen shared awareness to recognize that their physical, and Social health isn’t the only thing they should be concerned about, and that is where the importance of mental health awareness comes into play. Mental Health is just as important as physical or social health, because for you to be completely healthy, your mental issues should be resolved just as much as you would want to fix any other health condition. 

When Mrs. Barbosa was asked about pieces of advice regarding students struggling with mental illness, she said, “Of course!”“1. Don’t be afraid to speak up if you are not feeling like yourself. 2. Seek a trusted adult to talk to about getting help for any negative thoughts or feelings towards yourself or others. 3. You are not alone. There is help and support available both at school and within your community if you feel you or someone you know may have a mental health condition. 4. Teachers and counselors are of great support and can provide you with the help you need or refer you to a professional who can help you if you are struggling mentally or emotionally. 5. Anxiety and depression are more common than you think, there are ways to help you cope with these.”

It’s important because raising mental health awareness can help you to understand your symptoms, find professional treatment, and, perhaps most importantly, break the mental health stigma that leaves so many people suffering in secret. As someone who has been diagnosed and who is a survivor of moderate to severe depression episodes, along with adjustment MDD, I think it’s very important to always keep your mental health in check. 

Mental health awareness should not only be expressed for a day or two, or even a month, it should always be a recurring topic, to keep yourself, your friends, and your loved ones safe. Mental illnesses should also be talked about more often because as interesting as the topic may be, it can easily happen to not only ourselves, but someone close to us. So do not tread mental health lightly, take it seriously, even if it might be uncomfortable. 


How can you get help as a student If you are concerned about yourself, a family member, or even a friend?

  • Emotional support from a school counselor, or a school psychologist .
  • Talk to a parent/guardian, or a trusted adult into getting you further help outside of the school .
  • For extreme cases, please call SAMHSA National Helpline – 1-800-622-HELP (4357) .