Hughson High’s New Math Teacher: Ms. Kahlon

Lesly Avila-Rodriguez, Staff Writer

With the start of a new school year, Hughson High School welcomes new teachers. As a new addition in the math department, Ms. Kahlon! 

She was born and raised in Turlock, CA and currently still lives there. Before teaching at Hughson, she taught at Gustine High School. This is currently her third year teaching. Ms. Kahlon stated, “I enjoy helping students work towards being successful in class, so that they can work towards being successful in achieving their life goals.”

Ms. Kahlon realized she wanted to become a teacher while she attended college. If Ms. Kahlon was not a teacher, she would want to become a nurse. She continued, “That is what I thought I would become before deciding to change paths to become a teacher.”

Ms. Kahlon added, “Making connections with students and witnessing a’ ha moments when something new is learned” is what motivates her to teach. 

Ms. Kahlon enjoys teaching math because she believes that it is logical and makes you think critically. She describes her teaching style as interactive and collaborative. She acknowledges her parents as the people she looks up to. When she is not teaching, she enjoys walking her dog. As for advice, Ms. Kahlon affirmed that success is dependent on effort.