Hughson vs Orestimba: Huskies Were In it to Win it!

Sophia Sanchez, Staff Writer

Hughson High School’s JV and Varsity football team went up against Orestimba on Friday August 26th and Hughson was in it to win it, JV winning 26 to 6 and Varsity winning 41 to 28. Hughson had a couple of jaw dropping moments on the field this Friday. Carter Berger number 88, pancaked to the ground by the other team and getting a concussion. Another jaw dropping moment we had was when Hughson ran to score a touchdown when all of a sudden one of the teammates on Orestimba got flipped in the air and had to get rushed to the E.R. Hughson had a moment of silence and the teams on their knees. Our teams both showed up and proved Orestimba we can win no matter the conditions. 

The theme of Friday’s game was beach day, and our student section hit it out of the park with the most school spirit. Everyone dressed in floaties, leis, pool noodles and many more. If you were sitting in the student section be careful you were in the splash zone. So many chants and cheers, the other side could hear how loud we were. Lots and lots of color popping from everyone. The Hughson band performed amazingly on Friday night and cheerleaders did wonderfully with their kicks and flips. They sure knew how to move during halftime, leaving the stadium and other cheer mates amazed. 

The snack shack was booming with people. We had pizza, nachos, hot dogs, linguiça, candy, sodas, chips, and water. We also had a trailer called Dips and Sips. Something for everyone!

Coach Brown commented on the game saying, “Friday’s game against Orestimba was a nice win for our team.  Orestimba has some talented tough players, and our coaching staff was happy with how the team rose to the challenge.  Offensively the ball was spread around nicely with solid performances from Alex Villarreal (2 touchdowns) and Abe Montes (6 receptions, 75 yards, 1 touchdown).  As a coaching staff, we would have liked the second half to have been a little cleaner, with multiple penalties plaguing the efforts of the team throughout the 3rd and 4th quarters.  All in all, we were happy that our team came out victorious against a tough Orestimba team that always circles Hughson on their schedule as the team to beat.”