Students Adapt To The New Time Change Schedule

Martin Ochoa, Staff Writer

As many of you know, For the first time in our recent history Hughson High now has a later start. The first bell rings at 8:25 and school ends at 3:15. California Legislators first passed the law for later starts in 2019 and it has officially been in affect since July 1st, 2022. There have been people who don’t like it and other people who believe that the late start is better for the students.           

Brian Sandoval, a Junior at HHS, believes, “It’s better for me because I sleep more and I get to stay up longer if I have work to do”. 

On the other hand, Julian Padilla, a Campus Supervisor at HHS stated, “I don’t like it because you start later so you’re pushing sports back later and kids end up doing their homework later. It’s bad for them too and the kids that do both have to go back even later”.

According to Natalie Moring, Hughson High Assistant Principal, “I like the later start so students can get extra sleep and I myself get extra sleep too”. On the other hand she also stated, “For sports it has been a problem. The other day volleyball left at 1:30 for a game and missed part of 5th, 6th, and 7th”.  She concluded by saying, “There’s really no extra time for students that have to do sporting events too and the early breakfast is harder for the lunch ladies too”.

This new time change is beneficial in certain aspects and a challenge in other ways. No matter how you feel about it, it’s going to be that way for a while now.