Students and Staff Adapt to the Heat Wave

Due to the heat wave this week, sports were pushed back a few hours.

Alexis Sotelo and Angela Bridgman

As many of you know this week has been full of heat, sweat, and power outages. Due to these outrageous conditions staff and students had to overcome daily routines with adjustment to the heat.

Although many staff members can escape the heat there is a small number of staff that don’t, like Jamie Puga, one of HHS Campus security. Jamie admitted that Working outside in this heat wave “sucks because I worked indoors for like 12 years, so going over to working outside has an adjustment”. Jamie stays cool during the day by drinking lots of water and by keeping his small fan in his golf cart. He added “the school should accommodate the campus for the students by putting up more canopies or tents” One example he used was the Canopy the city of Hughson recently put up at Starn Park. Jamie also thinks that as long as the classrooms are cool and has AC then there should not be any schedule changes.

The heat wave also had an impact on sports and practices. Daniel Sotelo, a JV football player said “An effect this heat wave has had on me is now we have practices in the morning.” During the day, Daniel drinks water and fans himself with paper to cool down. Daniel says that “Going to school during this heatwave is pretty annoying and hot.” For his football routine, he says that he prefers morning practices because it’s cooler but he prefers how Varsity does it because they are done for the day. Even our athletes have an opinion on this hot weather but still find a way to push through it and develop a new routine that still includes practicing and still saying cool. 

Another athlete, Chloe Coonce says “This heatwave has affected my after school routine because it basically made me not be able to practice after school because its been so hot so we’ve had to change it to the morning but I couldn’t really do that because it would conflict with my schedule.” To cool down Chloe says that she stays in the shade and eats ice cream. Chloe also admitted that she prefers afternoon practice but maybe not as hot as it was this week. 

From games being delayed and even events being cancelled, athletes and staff from HHS had to adapt to new sports schedules for the week. It’s a good thing that practices are still being held but it’s an important thing to make sure everyone is staying safe. Drinking lots of water is a good thing to remember during this heatwave.