HHS Band Prepares for Homecoming

Johnny Martinez, Staff Writer

During the week of Homecoming, Hughson High School is known to have football games and parade floats going around, being the talk of the town. The HHS Band is known to play at a lot of the home football games, Homecoming being one of the biggest ones out of all of them. 

HHS Band teacher Mrs. Maki stated, “I am so excited for the band to perform at our Homecoming football game.” 

A lot of our band students are very ecstatic to be able to perform at the game. Not only is it a very fun experience, they get to watch the football players and spend time with their friends while doing it. The overall performance of the band is very important, not only to the band directors but the performing students as well. 

Maki mentioned, “There is always room to improve our performances, and I know it is hard for our busy band students to take home their instruments to practice. Ideally, there would be more independent and individual practice on instruments happening. I think by the time the game day arrives we will have rehearsed enough to cheer on our huskies well.” 

The band is aiming to play with utmost confidence and high performance for our Huskies. Practice makes perfect, and staying energetic and loud always influences the crowd to line up with the energy being put out. However, our band was never expected to play in past Homecoming games. This is just one of many opportunities for the band to stand up for.

“It feels very special for the band to perform at our Homecoming game. Did you know that in the past, the band did not perform at homecoming? The justification was to give band students a ‘night off’ to enjoy all the other activities associated with homecoming, the parade, floats and the homecoming court. Only until the last few years has the band performed at our Homecoming game, and it feels great to bring our energetic music to cheer on our team. I also love the idea of our alumni coming home to celebrate HHS,” Maki remarked.

“Our band improves at every game we play. We are always learning from our mistakes and striving to be better. I am so proud of our progress at each game.” Maki commented. ”I want to shout out our awesome percussion section – many of our members are learning percussion for the first time this year and they are rocking it!” Most of our band students are very talented, improving on their performance day by day and trying their hardest to create the music played at numerous events on campus. 

Freshman band student Aliyah Santiago had replied, “I’ve played at 2 games before the homecoming game so I feel like as a whole band we’ve all put our best into playing all of our sheet music.” 

Not only is this event eccentric for the football players and the hardworking students who ride the floats at the parade, it’s a very important event for the HHS Band as well. Our instrument players try their hardest to impress and are a very lively bunch. For them, Homecoming is just another steady challenge to defeat.