Movie Review: Mean Girls

Ysabella Vasquez, Staff Writer

The Mean Girls film was adapted from a book designated for parents of teens, Queen bees and Wannabe’s. This book focuses on how girls in high school form groups and on how to deal with patterns of aggressive behavior. This motion picture made its debut on April 30, 2004 and won many nominations. The film was directed by Mark Waters who also directed other films like Freaky Friday (2003). Many people find it relatable while others say it is not and it is meant to be dramatized to entertain the audience. They say it is not reality and could mislead teenagers on what to expect in high school. 

The film is about a teenage girl named Cady Heron (played by Lindsay Lohan) who went to public school after being home schooled in Africa. She was brought to Africa by her parents who are research zoologists.  When she finally got her public high school experience she quickly learned the cruel maneuvers of popularity that separates people from each other. She also happened to unintentionally grab the attention from the most known high school Clique, The Plastics. The well known trio consists of Regina George (Rachel McAdams), the leader of the plastics and her two minions, Gretchen Weiners ( Lacey Chabert) and Karen Smith (Amanda Seyfried). It is later revealed that Regina has taken a liking to Cady’s appearance and let her sit with them at lunch.

In the beginning of the movie it revealed Cady’s new found crush, Aaron Samuels (Jonathan Bennett). Aaron was Regina’s boyfriend who broke up with Regina later in the film and then got back together then Aaron broke up with her, again, because Cady told him that she was cheating with none other than Shane Oman.

In the end The Plastics triad was ultimately destroyed. Regina owned a burn book where she started with the Plastics to make rumors, stories, and gossip about everyone besides Cady, Gretchen and Karen since they contributed to it. One of them being Janis Ian, one of the girls that used to be a part of The Plastics and the creator of the Jingle Bell Rock choreography in the iconic talent show scene. She is one of Cady’s first friends she made at North Shore. Janis was one of the first people that talked to her and warned her about Regina and later came up with a plan with Cady to bring down Regina and expose her for the snake she is.

I was first introduced to this classic movie by my aunt when we were talking about our favorite movies and she brought up Mean Girls when I told her I didn’t know any of the movies she was talking about. She made me watch Mean Girls with her. It was very funny and entertaining. The cast is absolutely amazing. I liked how Cady went from being nice to a mean bully but turned good again towards the end. It shows how everyone can have dark momments and still can have opportunities to change themselves and are still the person they were before they changed. 

Mean Girls is a funny movie filled with teenage drama. Lots of drama usually about someone’s appearance like Reginas shirt, like in the film where Cady cuts holes in Reginas shirt and the next day other peoples shirts contain holes in the exact same spots as Regina. This 2004 flick is really funny and shows the world of teenagers in highschool. Although, not a lot of it happens in reality, it was still enjoyable to watch many people think that way too.