Huskies Spooky Traditions

%0A

Jalei Nhothsiri, Staff Writer

Fall, or as I would like to call it, spooky season is finally arriving! The weather begins to change and leaves fall, but one thing that starts to pop up is decorations! But what type of decorations you may ask? Halloween decorations! During our youth, we love trick or treating, candy, and dressing up. But is there an age where it just ends? Does everyone even feel the same and like Halloween? What makes it fun? Does everyone celebrate it? If so, do people celebrate it the same? Would they rather trick or treat, party, or stay home? 

Rylee Perry, a freshman at Hughson High, said, “I am very excited, It’s been my favorite since I was little. I have a lot of good memories, I don’t think I’ve had a bad one, I don’t think I’ll ever get bored of it, it’s always exciting.” 

Perry continued, “It’s fun because of dressing up, seeing people I know on the way, and being around people who enjoy it. But I do think I would prefer to go to a party where everyone is dressed up, I like parties.

On the other hand, some people share the same excitements but would rather spend Halloween a different way. It doesn’t appear the reasoning for fun is the same. Some people like Halloween for different reasons, maybe even deeper reasons, and celebrate differently. 

“I usually celebrate it kinda as the day of the dead and go out trick or treating after,” Angeles ODonnell, a junior at Hughson High described. “I’m excited because I like to dress up, it’s fun to get to be something or someone other than yourself, but it depends on how long you are walking and who’s out.”

ODonnell carried on to say, “I would rather go trick or treat rather than party, I’m not big on groups. The best part of Halloween is the pranking and haunted mansions.”

In addition, there are some who feel just as excited but what it comes down to more importantly, is their family! In the end it’s all about sharing quality time with the ones you love! Also, is it true some believe they will never get too old for Halloween?

Cash Stanhope, a freshman at Hughson High, said, “I’m excited to hangout with my family and see their costumes. I’m excited to go trick or treating with my brothers, I want to have brother bonding time. I would rather spend time with my family and go trick or treating rather than a party.”

Stanhope also shared, “I don’t think I’ll ever grow too old for Halloween, it doesn’t matter how old you are. You can still admire decorations and if you’re a parent you can go with your kids.”

Now that we see how there can be some differences between how Halloween is celebrated and liked, what about how it’s not cared for? Some may celebrate it but don’t share the same interest in this holiday. 

“I don’t particularly like it, it’s pretty lame,” Benjamin Lighthall, a Junior at Hughson High claimed. 

”I like Thanksgiving because of the gathering of family and food, unlike Halloween. I don’t really do much but I help my mom out at this church carnival thing we do,” Lighthall said. 

Lighthall added, “I guess I kinda grew out of it, I probably would dress up if I had time, but I don’t  really have plans, our house passes out candy but I don’t really. I would probably rather go trick or treating than a party because it gives you something to do, it depends who I’m with, like my pals.” 

We heard some different takes and opinions on this spooky holiday. Although, how is it seen from those of older age groups? Now truly, does Halloween ever get old? Let’s face and hear the reality!

“I love halloween, I’m super excited,” said Cindy Newsome, a teacher at Hughson Highschool. “For more than 20 years we would pass out candy on Halloween night and it’s super exciting. I love seeing little babies with cute costumes, they are all so cute,” Newsome expressed. 

Newsome added, “I don’t usually open my door but I do on Halloween night it’s really nice. I have former students bring me their kids and introduce them to me and it’s super cool!” 

Newsome went on to say, “I wouldn’t dare go trick or treating because then I can’t pass out candy!” 

Newsome noted, “I don’t think it ever will get too old for it because it’s a wonderful happy night. As a teacher you’re always trying to get kids to work but it’s really nice you don’t have to in the evening. I would rather have a party at my house while passing out candy than trick or treating. It really is just a fun night.”

Lastly how is it seen from someone who’s in the beginning of all their halloween year experiences? Sometimes it’s all about the candy! We can’t forget the best and main part of trick or treating!

Mckenzie Nhothsiri, a student at Hughson Elementary, exclaimed, “I like Halloween because I get candy and I dress up! I will always love Halloween. It’s really super fun, you get to dress up in a costume, I’m going to be Cinderella!

Nhothsiri added, “I would rather go trick or treating because I love trick or treating, I love candy. Halloween is super yummy but the zombies are scary!”