The Struggles of Math from Math Teachers

Jaelee Calk, Staff Writer

If everything were a math equation, what do you think it’d be like? Would you have a hard time comprehending the world when it’s drenched in math? Or would you stroll on the sidewalk, breezing through the day with each equation that passes you by? Math has both its simplicities and difficulties, which I’m sure each and every individual acknowledges. 

We will either struggle or facilitate with math. Sometimes, math can be our worst enemy but it fluctuates with other individuals. When it comes to the mindset of math, everyone has different things to say about it. Whether they like it, and dislike it. What they think of it, things they might want to verbalize about, and other opinions desiring to be expressed. 

It all depends on the person. Many people will share the same opinions, yet on the contrary, others may differentiate. Some may say optimistic things as opposed to pessimistic things. Andrew Franca, a math teacher who’s been teaching math since 2015, has information to share when it comes to his opinions about math. 

Franca noted when it comes to his interests about math, “The interesting thing about math must be realizing all that we see, hear, and touch is mathematically happening without us even knowing it yet every bit of it can be calculated out.” 

When it comes to his likes and dislikes about math, Franca stated, “I like the sense of accomplishment and understanding as it flows through the classroom. I dislike distractions while trying to get through the work.”

If there was anything we could change about math, would you want it to be changed? Let’s hear what he has to say. Franca expressed, “I would want there to be all kinds of different math classes that focus on various applications as well as the history of math and a class for the curious and/or mind-blowing type of mathematical trivia.” 

Lastly, Franca stated as to why he chose math out of every subject, “Because getting better at math makes you better at everything.”

Going forward, Jamie Compton, another math teacher who has been teaching math for 23 years, mentions that, “I like numbers and how they form relationships. I think everyone has something different they like. It’s what makes this world interesting.” 

Compton indicated her dislikes and likes by saying, “Math always has a right or wrong answer,” which follows on to her dislikes, “Common core.” 

If there was anything she could make different about math, she introduced her thoughts which were, “I’d make numbers Egyptian hieroglyphics.” 

Moving on to another math teacher, Paul Michaelis, shared, “I like math and it is fun to teach.” Michaelis said about his interests in the subject, “It is the same for everyone all the time. It sounds weird, but there is beauty in math.”

When it comes to the likes and dislikes of math, Michaelis stated his likings of math by mentioning, “It is very logical and makes sense to me.” and his dislikes are, “It is sometimes difficult to explain why things work to students.”

When it comes to his propositions of whether he had anything he’d like to change about math, he imputed, “Nothing. I like math just the way it is.” 

He claimed, “Once I tried teaching, and realized that I liked it, I was closer to my math degree than any other degree.” 

In conclusion, there are many different opinions being conveyed when it comes to the subject of math. Everyone experiences the subject and process of learning it differently so opinions may vary when it comes to sharing your opinion on it. Every person has their fair share of arguments or statements of math including the mindset they have about it, and that’s interesting. Some of us may strongly dislike math while others may have a sincere liking for it.

Some may have loads of things to share whether it’s likes or dislikes, while others may not. Everyone thinks of math differently and I think that’s what can actually make math even more unique.