Huskies Say Boo to Drugs!

Jalei Nhothsiri, Staff Writer

As some may or may not know, it’s finally Red Ribbon Week! It is the week where we should all be saying boo to drugs! The 24th through the 28th in October is Red Ribbon Week! But why is it important to spread awareness for Red Ribbon week? Why should we stay away and not do drugs? What are the harms? What is the importance of this week?

Norma Teague, a counselor at Hughson High, stated, “Drugs are not good, especially to students who are younger and their brains are still developing, doing drugs can really affect their development. It’s not anything that is beneficial to them.” Teague noted, “I think there are drugs that have more medical reasons, of course I don’t believe those are bad but more street drugs that are not prescription drugs are those that I don’t believe to be good or have benefits for students. I do know it alters their way of thinking.”

Teague suggested, “I think if you see other students doing drugs, try and stay away from those influences, just say no or make up an excuse to get out of the situation. Sometimes when you’re around it you’re most likely to do it, so just stay away from a situation if you know other students are going to participate in it.” 

Now that we have heard some thoughts from our counselor, let’s hear someone who can personally help with those who are struggling. What opinions and views do they have on drugs? 

“Unfortunately, more drugs are being created and most can become fatal. It is sad to see how many young adults have lost their lives due to poor decisions they made of consuming drugs. Drugs can have such negative results on your life and that of others who love you. Do not allow the pressure of “fitting in” dictate the decisions you make, because one bad decision can take your life,” Jessica Garibay, Hughson High’s Student Assistance Specialist, shared.

Moving on, what are the harms and dangers of drugs? Why should we avoid and not participate in drugs? Why is it so important to stay drug free?

Garibay explained, “Sometimes people are unaware that our brain is still developing even into our twenties. By consuming drugs and allowing drugs to consume you, you are delaying the growth and progress in your brain.” Garibay added, “Drugs manipulate the way the brain processes information, this affects the way a teenager learns, thinks, communicates, focuses, and remembers. By consuming drugs you are allowing your brain to decline in growth which can lead to long term effects.”

Garibay continued, “High school should be some of the best and most memorable years of your life, and by consuming drugs you are allowing drugs to take that experience away from you. Students who abuse drugs are at a higher risk of dropping out of school. And by dropping out of school, you are decreasing your success in life. So be smart and say no to drugs!” Garibay noted. 

Lastly and most importantly, how or where those who are struggling with drugs find help?

Garibay informed, “Those who are struggling with substance abuse can come to me, your Student Assistance Specialist. My goal is to provide students leadership, guidance, support and resources to help them with any difficulties they may be facing,” Garibay explained.