HHS Teacher of the Month: Mr. Parker

Jalei Nhothsiri, Staff Reporter

For the month of December, Mr Parker is our teacher of the month! He teaches integrated math 2 honors to a class that is a majority sophomore and finite mathematics for seniors. Parker attended a number of colleges. He went to Modesto Jr College, Humboldt State University, where he double majored in pure and applied mathematics, and then went to CSU Stanislaus to get his teaching credential.

After receiving a teaching credential he taught at Big Valley Christian High School for three years and Valley Charter for four years. This is his ninth year teaching at Hughson. As a matter of fact, he actually attended all four years of high school right here at Hughson High. He added, “It was really weird when I first started teaching at the school I went to just because when I first started some teachers were my teachers so they would say hey call me by my first name.” 

Furthermore, he explained that he never thought he would be a teacher.  He was originally a musician! He played the drums in a punk rock band and toured around the country for two and a half years. But he later on explained why he quit and chose teaching and it was because he enjoyed helping others. He said, “Helping people honestly, I like interacting with young adults,” “Ever since school I would always help my classmates and help people in college with math courses.” 

Parker expressed his passion for teaching and his thoughts on this school, “After being at different places I can tell this school has a positive culture here so it’s really nice to be here,” “I love the students, good positive attitude with people here and the staff as well.” Parker described, “Being a math teacher I know it tends to be people’s least favorite subject but I like people just trying to get them involved with the class and engaged.”

Lastly, Parker had much advice to offer to everyone. He said for those in general, “I’m a big person in integrity and just you should kinda know what you stand for and don’t compromise for that.” Parker carried on with advice to students, “Even in school the more technology it’s easy to take short cuts but it’s not going to help you in the long run, find what you’re gifted in and work hard in that, the stuff you aren’t gifted it provides perseverance.” “Be confident in who you are because other people can’t tell you who you are.” He mentioned he was honored to have been selected as teacher of the month but isn’t so used to this recognition because he doesn’t take himself too seriously.