Husky in the Hot Seat: Nurse Mary

Yasmin Duran Ortiz, Staff Writer

Yasmin: Where did you grow up?

Nurse: I grew up in North Carolina.

Yasmin: Do you have any children?

Nurse: Yes, I have one son.

Yasmin: What High School did you attend?

Nurse: Country Day School. A small private school, but in my senior year I went to Myers Park High School.

Yasmin: What university did you go to?

Nurse: I went to Duke University in North Carolina on a scholarship for 4 years.

Yasmin: Do you think University has changed since you graduated from it?

Nurse: Yes, when I attended university, the cost of 4 years there back then is the cost of 1 semester now.

Yasmin: Did you only focus on nursing?

Nurse: No, before nursing I worked in construction for many years. I didn’t go into nursing school until I was 45 when I decided I wanted to make more money doing something that I could enjoy.

Yasmin: How was the beginning of your nursing career?

Nurse: At first, I began as a mid serge, I got to do many post ops. I really enjoyed it.

Yasmin: Has there been any obstacles in your career?

Nurse: Yes, one weekend the hospital I was working at decided they would give everyone work on weekends. So, I quit and went into home health which I really loved.

Yasmin: Has there been a patient you got really close to?

Nurse: Yes, when I went into Home health I got assigned to an amazing 3 year old for 9 years that doctors had no help for since part of his brain was missing, he had no eyes, he was diabetic, he couldn’t breathe through his nose and he had down syndrome. His parents did everything they could to get their son to get the surgery he needed. Thankfully he survived and is now 19 years old, I go visit him every year in Colorado. He is one of the happiest people I know and he’s my best friend.

Yasmin: What’s the best part about your job?

Nurse: The best part is that I get to meet awesome people and participate in making the world a little better.

Yasmin: What’s the worst part about your job?

Nurse: The worst part is death and dying. I’ve gotten to experience many deaths, it really does change who you are and your perspective on life.

Yasmin: Do you recommend nursing for other people?

Nurse: Of course! You could help make a little difference in the world. Nursing helps you develop compassion and an understanding of human nature. Nursing is amazing for me. I like people more than I ever have now, I meet people who give me great hope for the future. Every person I help feel better, it makes me feel better and the world too. I’m looking for the small miracles in life and they’re out there!