Students Voice Their Opinion on Valentine’s Day

Jalei Nhothsiri, Staff Writer

No matter how you may feel or believe it, love is everywhere, even within you! Typically when we speak and think of love, Valentine’s day pops up in your head! This is the best day to spend time with that special someone! Although truthfully some people either love or hate this day. But why exactly is that? Let’s find out by hearing people share their worst or best valentine’s day story or thoughts!

“I like valentine’s day because it’s the day to show your appreciation and love for someone, yes it is special to me,” Averi Bridges, a student from Hughson High, expressed. “My best valentine’s day was when I received a pink bear. This made a good Valentine’s day because the person who gave it to me was someone I cared about,” Bridges added. “I have no Valentine yet, so far I have no plans for Valentine’s Day.Maybe give some gifts,” Bridges ended. 

Although on the other hand, some people have never really experienced their best valentines day yet. But they don’t lose hope! 

“My worst Valentine was when I was in middle school and my biggest crush asked me to be their Valentine, we both started talking a lot more. BUT a few days before valentine little did I know he was only playing a prank on me,” Dakota Heffner, a student at Hughson High said. Heffner noted, “Now I just laugh at these kinds of moments because it helps you learn how much more mature you are than others.” “We should be aware of people’s feelings and not hurt that.” 

Heffner continued, “My best valentine hasn’t happened yet but I’m sure it will come if I stay patient. Valentine’s Day is important to me because I can show the ones I love that I care for them.” “Also yes, I do have a valentine this year! I’m very excited to see where it goes, I don’t care for the gifts but they’re time that they would wait to give for me, is all I want,” Heffner concluded. 

In addition, some just like it and have no issues with it! Along with great experiences!

Rachelle Crawford, a student from Hughson High said, “Last year was when I had my best valentines, I got to hangout with a couple people and called someone I haven’t talked to in a while.” Crawford added, “I do enjoy valentines day when I actually have plans.” 

Of course there are those who don’t care for or like this particular day. It’s just like any other day for them.

“I don’t hate it, I just don’t see it as a holiday,” Rowdy Gilgo stated. “I mean good job for the couples,  good for them but I mean it’s a day in a year where a bunch of people act like they are in love and it really doesn’t make a lot of sense,” Gilgo noted. “I just see it as a day like if someone asked me to be their valentine I wouldn’t be mean and say no but if no one asks I don’t really see it as anything,” “So I guess yeah I’m not really interested in the holiday,” Gilgo expressed.