Spreading Awareness for National Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month

Jalei Nhothsiri, Staff Writer

Did you know that 15% of the world’s population lives with a disability? Throughout the month of March, national developmental disabilities awareness month (D.D.A.M), is observed to spread awareness. It is to raise awareness about the addition of people with developmental disabilities along with learning the barriers people with disabilities face. This month is all about understanding and accepting others!

First off, why is it important? D.D.A.M is extremely important. It helps us educate our community about developmental disabilities. It is good to acknowledge that developmental disabilities aren’t always apparent. There are several different forms of developmental disabilities that can or can’t be clearly seen. Visibly we can see someone in a wheelchair but cognitive challenges such as the way someone learns, speaks, or interacts with others aren’t as obvious. 

Not to mention, D.D.A.M helps them with peer relationships, putting an end to all stereotypes and bullying. This month allows us to create strategies, events, or activities to help students understand their peers with disabilities. This allows them to develop empathy, which results in positive outcomes. 

You may ask, how can we spread awareness this month? Here are some ideas!

• Get Involved: The National Association of Councils on Developmental Disabilities create a campaign every March, join them and spread awareness!
  • Share On Social Media: Social Media is the best way to spread awareness everywhere and fast! Use hashtags such as: #DDawareness2023, #DDAM2023
  • Wear Orange: Orange is the official color of Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month. It also symbolizes or represents energy and positivity!
  • Donate: Support any charities near you!
  • Be Kind: Sometimes all someone needs is a friend or someone to understand! Be kind to everyone around you! Put a smile on their face!

With that being said, I hope everyone spreads awareness this month! Appreciate, respect and understand one another. #DDawareness23