Teacher of the Month: Ms. Schmidig

Xavier Pabon, Senior Editor

In the month of February, the teacher of the month has been elected to be Miss. Schmidig, the Floral, Advanced Floral, and Agricultural Earth Science teacher at HHS. For eight long years she has helped add an energetic and dynamic style to teaching that helps students tap into their true potential, as well as help them become better citizens by the time they graduate.

Miss. Schmidig Attended Escalon Highschool where she would eventually graduate, and then go on to attend Chico State College, where she got her Bachelor’s Degree in science, Masters Degree, and teaching credentials. Teaching is just as much of a passion for her as it is a lifestyle, as she grew up in a family of educators, which helped her decide on her life path early on in her life.

As much as teaching is important to her, so is agriculture. Growing up Ms. Schmidig was heavily involved in FFA and 4H activities, coupled with her upbringing on a small ranch where her family raised a small cattle herd and took care of a little bit of wine grapes. This came to help her understand how agriculture provides food and shelter to people, and gave her a respect for all those who took part in the industry.

Schmidig says that, “It is a true honor. Being nominated as teacher of the month seems surreal. Hughson High School has so many wonderful teachers at it that it is a true blessing to be recognized.” With a drive for teaching that makes her classrooms full of life and energy and a hands-on approach to teaching, Schmidig is definitely deserving of the “Teacher of the year” award. As Schmidig said, teaching to her isn’t just a lecture to a class,  “Teaching to me is more than having a student sit at a desk.  It is allowing them to recognize their strengths and work on their areas of growth.  It is allowing them to get up and build their confidence so when they graduate, they know they “can do it.”  It is building relationships with students in a welcoming school environment. It is knowing when a student just needs you to listen when they are going through a rough time.  It is teaching them relevant & important information and concepts that they can carry with them into the future and much more.“